Friday, May 25, 2007

Back to School

I can't believe that I am actually choosing to go back to school. I have been toying with the idea of getting my masters degree for months now. I am working 3 days a week, and Best Buy pays for up to $5500 a year towards graduate credits...so why wouldn't I pursue it? I have always wanted to get into counseling, primarily elementary or high school kids. Drake (a very prestigious private college) offers an amazing program in counseling. With little optimism I applied in March. I have a degree in engineering, and no relative experience, aside from what I do at Best Buy everyday. I didn't think I had a shot. I made it past the first round of evaluations, and was asked to come in for an interview. I heard they had 80 people apply for fall term, and thought my chances were quite good. The interview went well, I wasn't nervous, and they laughed at my jokes (all good things.) At the end, I asked how many students they were accepting. They told me 4......4!!!! 4 out of 80! I started looking at other options. Then, on Wednesday, I got a letter from Drake. It was thin - and I was sure that it was going to be a "thanks for applying, but we chose someone else" letter. But it wasn't, I GOT IN!!! I am still in disbelief...but now I have to remember how to study, because I start at the end of August.....woohoo! I should be able to get my masters in education in 2.5-3 years. Who woulda thought?

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

That is awesome Brandi. Congratulations. I too, am gonna start looking at going back to school. I can't imagine it completely yet, but I am sure it will become more of a reality the more I think about it! Yeah. Good luck! I know you will do great. No wonder you got in...you have an amazing personality. I bet you blowed them away!