Sunday, September 01, 2013

RIP Don LaRue (aka Grampa Rue)

This is a terrible post to have to write, but one that definitely needs to written. We have been so happy having Gramma Rue live near us in Ankeny. She still spoke to Don regularly and they remained good friends. I got a chance to speak to him in late April on one of my long work drives and we got a chance to really talk about some great things. He and I were not always the closest, but I do feel that he just didn't know how to be the best stepfather. I don't blame him for that, and choose just to tell good stories to my kids about him. They will always know him as Grampa Rue.

In mid May we learned that he passed away, and my mom and sister flew to Kennewick to help make arrangements for his funeral and the house. My mom did an amazing job of notifying the family, making arrangements with his friends at the country club to have a wonderful remembrance there (they were like his second family.)

Both she and my sister spent a few weeks figuring out house improvements, working with contractors around cleanup of the basement that had been flooded months earlier, selling of assets and working without a will to try and help Tim get through everything. During this time they also made arrangements to transport his body to Idaho for a ceremony there. I was trying to figure out how to make it to the funeral. Josh was in Europe for three weeks. Josh's family was in Mexico, and I literally was by myself with three kids and a meeting that I was responsible for running in Omaha. Unfortunately I did not make it out, but did try and help just by talking to my family a lot, sending mom pictures she needed, and doing what I could from far away. Luckily Chelsey's professors were understanding and she took her tests after she got back. 

Later this summer they flew back out to put the house on the market and get rid of the rest of the items in the house. I am sure it was an emotional roller coaster for them both. I am very grateful for our last phonecall, and also grateful for the reality check that we have only a little time with our family and to cherish every minute!



No comments: