Thursday, May 01, 2014

The post I never thought I'd write

A few weeks ago I started down the road of another Best Buy restructure. I started writing this post then (beginning of March.) I sat in a room and learned that we would be cutting 25% of the store's leadership and cried a little inside. These are people that I have recruited, hired, trained...counseled through frustrations and celebrated successes with. I know their history, their families and have spoken to many of them more often that my own family!

This last year I felt that I really arrived. I have had a very successful year filled with praise and accolades. I feel for the first time that I am really good at my job and get great personal fulfillment in feeling that way! I am not sure if its the team/boss I work for, or the fact that I am full time and have helped build the leadership team from the ground up - but I feel as though I have arrived!

And then everything changed. After the restructure meeting we made plans for how to address it in stores, how to roll it out, logistics on severance and people...and felt as good as we could about it.

Then we heard that district roles were being eliminated and we were going to market support....I would transition from 2 states and 14 stores to 6 states and 45 stores. Wow....that is impossible. I already feel as thought we do the kid shuffle daily. Who is getting whom where and when. The stress of two people who are very career driven each working 6 figure jobs really is taking a toll on our family. All the money in the world is not worth putting our kids through that. After lots of tears and anguish and decision making conversations - I have decided to step away from Best Buy after 14 years.

I posted this on facebook and told my circle of friends and the out-pour has been overwhelming. So many stories, and history I had forgotten....so many lives impacted. I am grateful to get a 6 month severance and for all I have learned while working for this company. I am sad to leave - but I feel that the sacrifice will be worth it. My 3 kids still think I am cool - they still want to hang out with me! I think of the camping and swimming and gardening and reading we will get to do this summer and I am happy. I will have to alter what gives me personal fulfillment and will have to redefine what success is! We have been smart investors and will be okay for a while on Josh's salary - I see it as a personal challenge to make it work! The stress that I can relieve from Josh and our house by being the stability is worth the short term sacrifice of me not working. So here's to adventures and going out on a limb and a summer of fun!

No comments: