Saturday, August 25, 2007

California Part Duex

So I left off on Monday of my california trip. I flew out of San Fransisco after a bit of a delay and arrived in San Diego around 6ish. It is very strange, but the San Diego airport is basically downtown? So I rented a car and started driving to Escondito, where April lives. I made pretty good time, and only got mildly lost. We basically spent the night talking and catching up. I got to meet her boyfriend Nate and roommate Denis as well as her pug LeLu. Denis and April met in Denver, they traveled to Russia together, where he is from, and then he followed her out to San Diego. Nate and April have been dating for about a year. He has been applying to the coast guard, and is also considering either going back into the army, or pursuing an advanced degree.....more on that later.

Tuesday we got up pretty close to the crack of dawn to head to Disneyland. I had not been there since I was a kid, and man did we have fun! We got to the park pretty close to when it opened around 8. It was Nate's birthday so he had to wear a giant button that disclosed that information to everyone. All the characters and staff at the park wished him a happy birthday all day...hilarious. We hurried to the new Finding Nemo attraction that had just opened. We figured on a weekday, getting there really early, we wouldn't have to wait long....wrong. 2-ish hours later we got to go on the Nemo ride. Very cool, but not worth 2 hours.

--We couldn't use flash photography. Here are Nate and I in the Nemo submarine--

I, of course, remembered to bring my camera, but forgot to bring a SD card...so thanks to April for supplying the pictures. We went on a bunch of rides, and met up with April's Aunt Cherrie, and her husband roy at Space Mountain. They LOVE the park and are season ticket holders. After that we headed to Adventureland and went on Indiana Jones. Then it was about time to head to Club 33.

Club 33 is a very exclusive club that you must be a member of to get in. Disney used to entertain all of his corporate clients there. The membership is something like $5000 a year, and you must spend at least $150/month on food. April knows someone who knows someone and got us in! The food was AMAZING. You pay for lunch and drinks and get a free pass to the park. The lunch was worth the $80 (basically the same price as a park ticket anyway.) There was an all you can eat fresh seafood bar and the most amazing desserts you've ever eaten. Yum.

The only downfall of the resaraunt was the dress code. No bare shoulders, and no flipflops - crap! April and I had both worn tanktops, and Cherrie and I had both warn sandles! So they made us wear their shirts and we had to go buy the ugliest crocs I have ever seen (which we returned after.)

--UGLY CROCS! And I don't get the hype, I think they are uncomfortable?--

--They made Nate a special dessert for his bday. April is sporting the lovely shirts they gave us.--


--Me and my lovely shirt--

--Cherrie and Roy--

We finished up the day with Pirates of the Caribbean and other rides in the park. We also went to California Adventures which was a parking lot last time I was there. They had a roller coaster that was really fun called California Screamin....made me very excited for our Six Flags trip next week.
--Here we are at the 3D Bug's Life show--

--The three of us again--

--April and I trying on princess hats--

--April Mouse--

The rest of the night was spent shopping and desperately searching for something to buy Josh. He doesn't fit into the standard souvenir category. He doesn't golf, drink, like disney hats or shirts, he doesn't drink coffee or need magnets, there is no reason he would ever use a disney stein so I gave up. I was fairly certain that I was a failure as a wife for not finding one thing to buy him at Disneyland. Then, low and behold, we found the Lego store....YAY! So Josh got legos, and I was not the horrible wife.

--Here we are outside the world of disney. It is the biggest store full of disney stuff I have ever seen. Not one thing that Josh would like.....sigh--

--YAY the Lego store...marriage saved!--

We stayed the night at a the Hyatt, just down the street from Disneyland. We got up late and drove home on Wednesday. April and I went shopping, and got our nails done. Then, we met Nate later for drinks and dinner at a small bar.

On Thursday april ditched work a little early, and Corinne met us in Escondito. Then we all drove to LA to meet up with Hans. The traffic is ridiculous...I thought Seattle traffic was bad, but it was nothing compared to LA. I don't know how people handle it...thanks Nate for driving! I will admit, that the beaches were beautiful, but I would go crazy after a few days. We made it to Manhattan Beach, and Hans only lives a few blocks from the water. While we waited for him to get off work, we walked along the boardwalk and looked at the houses.

--April, Nate and Corinne--

--Boardwalk on Manhattan Beach--

Some of the houses along the beach were for RENT, only around $9000 a month....AHHH. How does anyone afford that. It was nice to oogle over how the other half live though. We stopped for a drink at a little dive bar and then met up with Hans later.

--Drinks on the beach--

--Another bar that Hans likes. Ping Pong, trivia, and Ms. PacMan--

After we met up with Hans, he showed us his new digs by the beach. Very nice apartment and only 3 blocks or so from the water. Then we headed to a bar near his house to have a drink before dinner. We met up with his girlfriend Lilly at a Japanese restaurant. There we had shabu shabu (or swish swish in english.) They boil water on your table, and you add veggies, then use chopsticks to swish the meat around. We ordered pork, seafood, and chicken. The water boils your meat and you dip it in sauces. Basically Japanese fondue. Them we finished the night with gelatto near the promenade. We headed back late, but needed to get home because both Hans and April worked on Friday. It was great catching up with Corinne and Hans, and meeting Lilly.

Friday I got up early and said goodbye to April and Nate. I drove down to San Diego to meet Corinne and her boyfriend Phil for breakfast. Corinne also showed me the amazing building she worked at. It is very architecturally interesting with a small fountain that looks like it is pouring into the ocean. She says it makes it easy to go to work every day!

3 flights later with many delays (seems to be a theme this trip) I was home almost 3 hours late. Got home around 2am just to have to get up at 6am for a meeting. Oh well. The trip was amazing, and thanks to all for the amazing time!

No comments: