Friday, February 08, 2013

Celebrating the "Lasts"



I read an article today that really got me thinking. As a mom of three young kids I have celebrated every first. First steps, first words, first time using a spoon. Where I need to get better is in thinking about the lasts.

It isn’t often that I think about the last time that Zachary crawled, or the last time I had to feed Grayson. I don’t reflect upon the last time I had to walk Kenna into school, or the last time that any of them woke up for a feeding.

Last night Zachey asked if we could snuggle. I sat in bed with him as he nuzzled his cute little head under my chin and I mentally was making a list of all the things I had to get done that night. He smiled the cutest little smile ever and he said “I love you so much mom.” 

It made me do a gut check…instead of rushing through bedtime and stories, I need to relish this time. I am always in such a hurry to get to the time post bedtime that I never stop to think that this may be the last time Zachey asks to snuggle with me, or the last time Kenna wants to read me the poem she wrote, or show me the art project she is so proud of.

Working with the high schoolers, I can tell which ones are starved for attention, and which ones have been told and know they are good enough. I know which ones have had strong parental influence with high standards and which ones have been left to fend for themselves.

My little three year old taught me something. I am going to try and cherish these moments. The laundry, dinner clean up, meal planning, bill paying, house cleaning can all wait. These small moments of just me and my kids where they WANT to spend time with me, give me kisses and snuggle are limited. I know there will be a time when they would rather hang out with their friends, or listen to music in their bedroom. 

I am putting my commitment in writing that I am going to do my best to try and treasure these moments. Big thanks to all my kids who have shown me over the last week that they want nothing more than some time with their mom. I don’t want to wake up and realize that I have missed out on any of the “lasts.” I love you all so much!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a great post! It's hard not to look forward to that "you" time. Your story definitely makes me rethink what exactly it is I'm looking forward to and what I'm missing when I don't live in the moment.

Anonymous said...

Like

Beard said...

Well done mom, you've got life priorities figured out. Time is really all a kid wants from M&D, no regrets!