Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Happy Birthday to me


So, I officially have the best husband on the planet. He had been planning a surprise birthday celebration for me for months. I had NO IDEA what it was, but I knew that I didn't like surprises, and that it was going to be expensive...that was all!

He told me we were going to hot yoga at our gym at noon on Sunday, and that is all I knew. I envisioned everything from hot air balloon rides, to trip somewhere...I had no idea what we could do on a sunday at noon.

I got all ready, realizing that my non-see through yoga shirts were all in the laundry. I got dressed thinking, sure black sports bra and light colored yoga tank totally fine. We will be in the back of the class, and its always dark during hot yoga. We pile the kids in the car and head off. As soon as I walk in the club I hear a bunch of ladies scream SURPRISE! I had no idea what was going on....

Josh came behind me laughing and told me he had arranged a private hot yoga class for me and 10 of my best friends...how great! We had Nessa, my favorite instructor and we got the whole studio to ourselves...it was wonderful! I ignored the fact that my thoughts of hiding in the back in the dark were all in vain - and really just enjoyed the hour. After that we had very little time to shower and get dressed for the next phase of my surprise.

We all finished and walked out of the club to a large bus with a stripper poll in the middle....hmmmm....what kind of party is this? Amanda and Chelsey met up with us at this point and told me that the car company had made a mistake and that the bus wasn't the arrangement :) Josh had let the driver have it and a real limo was coming for phase #3...phase #3? Jeez I was sort of overwhelmed!

So we all piled in the limo and I was handed a notebook that Josh had made will all my clues and notes to read. It told me that he had planned this for just me and my girlfriends because I never got to get out and just enjoy them...he was right! I was excited. Next stop was manis and pedis and we had the whole salon to ourselves! I enjoyed catching up with Shelly and Donis who sat next to me while I got a manicure.




Then the real limo pulled up and we all piled in. Someone broke into the dinner sandwiches which were divine as we drove to our next destination, a winery. When I read the note that said we were going to a winery, I was thinking...in Iowa? But tried not to overthink it and off we went. It actually turned out to be pretty great! Emmi brought a computer and set it up so that April could join us remotely from Maryland!! And we were told how to properly eat chocolate and wine together. There were some wines that I wouldn't have traditionally enjoyed, but it did taste way better with the right chocolate!!








After the wine was really my favorite part of the night. Josh had asked the husbands of the ladies to share an embarrassing story about them. Then he wrote one word from the story on a piece of paper. I would read the sentence and then the girl that had the matching story had to share it with us. It was hilarious. I really can't remember laughing that hard in a long time. We ate and drank and laughed for a long time. Just driving around Des Moines and stopping at the capitol for pictures.




Our last stop of the evening was a comedy club called the rainbow room. The comedy was so inappropriate and hilarious. We were one of only a few groups there so we definitely got called out a few times, which made it all the more funny. We drank more there and by the end of the evening definitely had to call a few people for rides. Luckily Em drove Donis home who definitely over did herself...mom of three with new baby hadn't had a night out in a while! Then she drove me home - so glad she was there to be the sober one!










I am completely overwhelmed, still, that this group of ladies would dedicate almost their entire Sunday to me. I am truly so lucky to have such wonderful people in my life. So much so, that I have decided to form a monthly Bunco group so that we can all hang out and remain close! Everyone got along so well, we have to keep the momentum going!

Thank you so much my love for a very memorable birthday. I am so lucky and will never forget turning 35!!!






No comments: