Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Kenna's Birthday

We have had a great couple of days and it will only continue throughout the month! While I was in Chicago Josh did a fabulous job of getting things ready for Kenna's school birthday celebration. He made chocolate covered strawberries (kenna's request) and got her book ready. I got back late Monday night and was home in time to go to her "Celebration of 5 trips around the sun" at school. They start by getting a birthday hat and telling the class the month she was born. Then they look at her book that has a picture for each year, along with a sentence that Kenna wrote about that year. It ranged from:

When Kenna was 0-1: "I liked to play on the floor"
1: I was messy eating my birthday cake
2: I was a flower girl
3: I met my baby brother
4: I loved to play dress up
5: This is my friends and I at dance class

She got to tell a little about each year, and after each story she got to "walk around the sun." The kids would say all the months in the year in cadence. I can NOT believe how well behaved and attentive the twenty 3-5 year olds were! I am in kindergarten class rooms a lot for internship and they are not even close! Actually the 4-5th graders sometimes are not as nicely behaved!

Then Mrs. Betsy got out the "tickle feather" and tickled her once for every year she was old. The kids sang her a special birthday song and she got a present from the teachers and blew out the candle. The kids LOVED the strawberries and juice. Daddy did great, and I was tearing up just watching how proud and excited McKenna was from planning what she was going to wear and how to do her hair to listening to her friends sing happy birthday. Its times like these that I am in awe of how grown up she is, but still has that sweet innocence that I just love!

Today we had a great day! I started by singing her happy birthday and telling her that she could have ANYTHING in the whole world for breakfast (hoping she didn't say mac and cheese or something.) She wanted oatmeal with sprinkles and M&Ms...an odd request, but she is the birthday girl! Zachey went to Eski's and Daddy went to work. We proceeded to get manicures and pedicures and I just LOVED the giggles as the used the course sponge on her feet, hilarious! Then we went to target and I told her she could pick out whatever dress she wanted (she doesn't have very many summer dresses.) This was really the first time she got to pick out her clothes...I usually buy them online or at garage sales. It was very cute watching her weigh every option! Then we went to lunch, at Kenna's favorite place, Palmers. We headed home to color and brush our teeth before we went to the dentist (I know not very exciting, but impossible to get us both in!!) After that we went to a new ice cream store and picked up Zachey. Now she is playing with her good friend next door. I cannot believe she is 5. I remember it like yesterday, anxiously awaiting her birth...time just flies by way too fast!

Happy birthday my sweet little lady.

No comments: