Thursday, January 08, 2015

Where has the time gone - sheesh!

I figured with all the holiday festivities I would have plenty of time to keep up on my blog! SHEESH am I behind!

I'll start by getting caught up, and a review of the last month or so! One big change is that Josh has a new job! He has been rather unhappy with the management at Workiva for quite some time. While they are all very gifted at their trade, many of them lack when it comes to people leadership. What I am so grateful for is that I was able to learn the difference between manager and leader in my tenure with Best Buy. I feel that I was allowed to hone my skill when it came to selection and people development. My fear is that workiva is not spending the energy and time necessary to really retain good people - for example my wonderful husband.

One thing I so admire about Josh is that he is unwilling to accept mediocrity. So many people sit around day in and day out and work at a job they hate. That brings them down and then in turn makes them a bad father/mother and spouse because most people cannot leave that feeling at work. But Josh started speaking to friends, and eventually landed at Bunchball. Bunchball is a company based in california, with a small group of people working out of Des Moines. It is quite different from Workiva based in a rented office space downtown - but a week in he seems quite happy. Josh is a part of something again and feels as if his opinions and work matter - which is so very important! I couldn't be prouder of his efforts and work ethic - one of the things I love so much about him!

With Josh leaving Workiva he inevitably had to tell them. He chose to do so 3-4 weeks before his end date to give them adequate notice. Little did he know they would let him go nearly immediately! After my freak out about no benefits and no paycheck subsided, I really enjoyed spending the three weeks with our family at home! Josh got some much needed downtime and I got to come and go as I pleased and really just have a lot of do nothing time with the fam, it was heavenly!

Below is our Christmas letter that I sent this year. I sent 100 out, and I so loved getting all the replies. I know it is sort of an outdated tradition, but still love to do it!

------


2014 was definitely a year for big changes! New jobs, braces, friends and family members. Travel to Mexico, Yellowstone, Idaho and across 5 states. No more diapers, first baseball game, new sports and hobbies. Room remodels, major landscaping that never ends, new car and new school. Quite a bit of change this year, but all of it good!

Josh continues to work at Workiva (previously Webfilings) but transitioned from Dev Ops Manager to Training Manager. He has a lot of autonomy with the position, which he loves! He has been dabbling in the world of App development and created his first app “Poker Night.” The “research” he does usually involves he, a bunch of friends, liquor and cards – not sure that he knows I am on to him yet. We both were able to go to Mexico and are looking forward to taking all the kids in January! We’ll have to tell you about my passport snafu sometime. He acquired a 3D printer this year and has enjoyed learning that new hobby, and Lanie (1 year old jack russell) has enjoyed eating the projects that end up on the floor.

This year I experienced the biggest change of all when my position at Best Buy changed drastically. My territory tripled and the travel would have been overwhelming. After much discussion, Josh and I decided that it would be in the best interest of our family to stay home. The kids’ schedules require an advanced online management system just to keep track of and, for the time being, they still think I’m cool – so I couldn’t pass up the chance! While I very much miss the day to day work chaos and relationships – I have been able to explore my passions in gardening, landscaping, cooking, volunteering and most recently, photography. I was able to ride Ragbrai again this year and did some of my training with Kenna - who has shown an interest in cycling! Thank goodness for all of the support from the grandmas who watch the kids. I think they babysit more now than when I was working! I feel so fortunate to have almost all of our immediate family close by.

McKenna (8) has had a very busy year! She is in third grade and excelling in every subject (especially reading.) She is a few weeks away from achieving her green belt in karate, while also managing to play piano and soccer. She had the great misfortune to have her mom as a coach – lets just say we both learned a lot, and parents hug your coaches! She got braces this spring and is counting down the days until they are off! For her birthday she was the recipient of a fully remodeled bedroom – no more baby left in that room, much to my dismay. She loves swimming, music, horses and her friends and is really such a responsible young lady – we are so proud!

Zachary (5) has experienced a lot of change this year as well! He is in kindergarten and just loves school. Academically he is above grade level, behaviorally – well we are working on that. Boys are so different than girls! This summer he tried flag football (not a fan), but this fall he started gymnastics (huge fan.) Zachey had his first sleepover and attended his first baseball game this year and was really more interested in the hot dog than the game. He loves playing minecraft, legos, drawing, singing – really anything that is creative and not sweaty, ha!

Grayson (3) is the best sidekick a stay at home mom could ask for. He loves helping me do everything and anything from laundry to picking zucchini to getting the mail (seriously the best part of his day.) It was a big transition for him to leave his buddies at daycare, but we try to stay very busy while the kids are at school. He started music class and talks about it everyday and a little less successful has been fall soccer, maybe next year. He spent the majority of the summer outside with me working on never ending landscaping projects and in the garden. Grayson loves to play with his farm, sing, cut with scissors and pretty much be right next to me at all times (we’re talking bribery to get a shower everyday – but wouldn’t change it for the world.)

I LOVED having the summer with my kids. I feel so fortunate to be able to experience what they experience and be more present in their lives. We had the opportunity to take a road trip to Yellowstone that would rival National Lampoon – but the memories were unforgettable. It was so wonderful to see my extended family. In August our family grew when we welcomed Lily– Chelsey’s first baby. This has made me appreciate my children’s ability to both tell me what they want, and sleep through the night! So fun to snuggle her and hand her back to mom when its time for a diaper change!

I hope that any change you experienced this year was in betterment of yourself and your families!

Happiest of Holidays and All our love! - The Skinners



No comments: