Sunday, October 22, 2006

Kitchen Project

Josh has been interested in woodworking for quite a long time. It has taken all my energy over the past year just to stop him from buying a new tool each week. He has really done some amazing projects lately, and I had to put them up here to brag about.

When we moved into our house last year we LOVED the view, layout, and location. But I was not so happy about the kitchen. In fact, I hated it. Flesh colored walls, small cabinets, a BLUE countertop? The house was custom built with beautiful floors, fixtures, woodworking, etc. It looks like they ran out of money and threw a kitchen together.


So, we kept looking but came back to this house for a second look. We decided we love the house, lets gut the kitchen and start over! Before I moved to Iowa Josh ripped out all the cabinets and applainces. He repainted the entire room and ripped out the flooring in the kitchen. He converted the laundry room, that is off to the left in the above picture, to a pantry. He moved the laundry room into our walk in closet upstairs in our bedroom. We also coordinated over the phone and chose cabinets and countertops. Here is the end result:


I loved the new kitchen. We did all the tile ourselves. And, along with the help of a good friend, Josh hung all the cabinets and installed the counters. I purchased all the appliances with my lovely discount at Best Buy. The only part Josh didn't like about our kitchen was the wall he had to build for the bar. He said it didn't flow between rooms, and he didn't like the drywall. So he created a design on the computer, bought wood and stain, and made the bar flow better:


I love the result. He is so talented! And the best part is, he loves working in his shop. I will post some other pictures of what he has done later. Here is the kitchen from another angle:

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

That turned out amazing! Way to go you two! Great to have someone handy around the house, huh??