Sunday, March 01, 2015

So proud of my Kidlets!

We just got done with our second round of parent teacher conferences, man are we lucky! We started with Zachary. These were student led conferences and they had a presentation prepared to share with us. He showed us his writing journal which was elaborately illustrated and quite creative! He read us a story with ease and we looked at his progress behaviorally from the beginning of the year. This year has been challenging for both Zachary and us as his parents, but we are so proud of his progress! He transitioned to a much easier behavior chart because he is making excellent choices most of the time. I think he is very mature for his age when it comes to understanding how to handle problems, we just need to work into putting it into practice! The other day I caught him saying to his brother "are you upset buddy? It sounds like you are frustrated...let me help you so you can calm down." WHAT? This coming from a  year old? He is in the advanced math group as well and in the intermediate to advanced reading group. He is on level "D" books which is where he should be by the end of the year, so hoping he makes progress into the 1st grade level books. We really couldn't be more excited with his progress and are so proud of his hard work. I love that he loves school and enjoys learning. He is proud of himself as well, which warms my heart as his mom!

After Zach's conference, we drove him home quickly, and dropped him off with the babysitter and picked up McKenna for hers.

She showed us her writing, and math accomplishments and her reading was off the chart! She was reading nearly 200 words per minute with 99% accuracy...which was a 30 word improvement over last time! She is in the advanced math group and the advanced reading group. Mrs. Bowman made it a point to call me a few weeks ago to tell me how much she adores McKenna. She paired her with the most challenging reading partner because McKenna is so patient and kind. I was definitely beaming when I got off the phone. To summarize - our daughter is thoughtful, kind, a great helper and a rockstar academically. Not sure what more we could ask for as parents. She is also the kind of kid that is near tears if she does not meet expectations (was very emotional at the thought of not completing her homework on time as an example.) Her work ethic is admirable and we are so fortunate! The picture below is what Ms. Bowman sent me when McKenna was one of three kids that has 100% mastered her division and multiplication fact triangles. She was thrilled! That is usually the area I help kids in when I volunteer on Thursdays, so I was overjoyed!




No comments: