Sunday, July 17, 2016

Easter Bunny Visits

March 29, 2105

Imagine my surprise when I am digging up a very large, very frustrating hugantic hydrangea in our front yard and I hear a scream. This was not a person scream, but a scared-out-of-their mind small animal scream. I immediately jump back and scream myself, shovel still lodged in the soil. As I inspect the spot I was digging, I see lots of wiggling and am slightly grossed out. Upon closer inspection and with two very interested dogs pawing at the ground, I discover I have struck a bunny nest. I immediately scold the dogs and put them away, and attempt to dispose of the one that I obviously killed with my shoveling (sorry little bunny.) McKenna came out to see what was going on and saw that there were two baby bunnies now sort of wiggling in this small hole. This is the day McKenna fell deeply in love with these baby bunnies. I made her wear gloves because I had no idea what diseases they had, or if our scent would scare momma bunny away forever. 

In our research we discovered that bunnies stay in this little hole until their eyes open and they are able to move on their own, just a few weeks. It looked as if our little guys were pretty close to that time. It also said, much to my relief, that wild bunnies rarely survive living in captivity. So, I put them back in their den and tried to recover them with the remnants of fluff that the momma bunny had so carefully collected. I have to question her choices, however, as she put her nest in the highest traffic dog area in our entire yard...cmon momma bunny, what were you thinking?

That night I saw the momma return to the site and the next morning the babies were gone. There were many tears from Ms. Kenna as she proclaimed her love for the small animals and hoped they were safe. I hope her heart is always this big!


No comments: